BOOK ONE

31.5.05

Choose a Path 12

TO: Lord Darth Vader
FROM: The Imperial Social Division
RE: The Annual Emperor's Imperial Ball

Your Lordship,As you know it is almost time for the annual Imperial Ball which, as you know, is held each year to aid in funding the costs of Palace upkeep. It would add greatly to the atmosphere if you would grace us with your presence.We would be greatly appreciative of an answer in this matter at your earliest convenience.

Yours Sincerely,
Marlann Taralae


Imperial Social Director.I tossed the data pad with this memo across the room watched as the Protocol droid retrieved it. When he had placed it, just so, upon the desk I picked it up and tossed it back across the room. The process repeated several times until the droid asked me why I was throwing the data pad away.

“Because, it is an utter waste of time even looking at these stupid memos let alone answer them.” I said crossly. “I mean don’t these people know what He does?” I asked. The droid began to reply but I shut him up with a wave of my hand. “It was a rhetorical question P2B4.” I told him. The droid fussed and placed the data pad on the desk again but this time, just out of my reach.

“I am programmed to answer these communiqués, mistress.” He said.

I made a face. “Fine then, answer it. Tell them that Lord Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith, has better things to do with his time than attend some stupid function where he can neither drink the too sweet champagne nor eat the soggy canapés that are dutifully served, where he will be bored to death by the stupid, simpering chit chat of the palace courtesans. I am quite sure that he’s the life of the party!” I said sarcastically.

“Oh I do not think that is an appropriate response.” The droid complained.

“Fine, the answer is Lord Vader is not coming, you write it how you like it.!” I said. I was cranky. I was still stiff and very sore from the incredibly difficult work out Lord Vader had put me through the day before. I was not sure what the reason for the massive physical training but he was not in the mood for answering questions so I never did find out. I assumed that if you train your mind you need to train your body too. There were mental exercises as well, learning to control the Force without it biting me back. I had a lot to practice and he expected me to practice every day.

This morning I went through the training regime alone, it was not the same being alone. With no one to push, goad and be sarcastic, the drive I had felt yesterday which had come through the anger was not there today. I don’t really know how he does it, maintain that anger daily, he must really have a serious hate on for the universe.

Without the anger the exercises were not any easier but they flowed better. I had learnt similar moves when I was younger but these were somehow harder. I went through the set twice before I switched to a dance work out that was more familiar, one I had learned at Jabba’s palace. I always found peace through dance. By the time I had exhausted myself, almost three hours had passed. I had not even noticed and still had to practice the mental exercises. This was much harder to do and I got frustrated easily with them which of course made me angry and that led to a complete loss of concentration and it all sort of went down hill from there. I gave up after the third try, this was NOT going to work. He would just have to kill me because I wasn’t spending all day trying to get it right.

I went back to my quarters and after a shower settled in to catch up on the paperwork which only served to annoy me further. I sent the droid away and sat down to read some of the old journal my father had given me.

-USING THE FORCE IS NOT SOMETHING THAT COMES NATURALLY. ALTHOUGH THE FORCE SURROUNDS US AND IS ALL AROUND US IT IS NOT SUCH A SIMPLE THING TO USE. ONE MUST BE PATIENT AND CALM. TO FIND THE STRENGTH FROM WITH IN ONE MUST FIND THE STRENGTH FROM WITHOUT.-

It was not helping, the journal said one thing and Lord Vader said another. Was there no middle ground? I was saved from my thoughts and frustrations when Lt. Jorae Tobas knocked at my door and asked if I wanted to go to the mess hall for supper with him. Food was the least complicated thing in my life right now and it was always a good thing to eat so I accepted his invitation and went to dine in the mess hall. At least this way, if Lord Vader decided to kill me it would be on a full stomach.

No comments: